You are hereForums /

More LED lights

NB: Originally posted elsewhere on the Global Riders Network and appears via syndication.
Below is a preview, click to read the full post

Whilst we struggle to bring LED lights in biking to life, you might be interested to hear Audi is now offering full LED lighting on some vehicles. Can't be long now before prices start to fall...

"An interesting innovation, and one that will be optional on even something as exotic as the R8, will be the availability of LEDs for all lighting functions – high and low beam, daytime running lights and indicators.

Particularly interesting are the headlights which are 'reminiscent of an open pine cone', with reflector shells arranged concentrically one behind the other in conjunction with an

AROC Adventure Race Narrabeen 29 October 2006

NB: Originally posted elsewhere on the Global Riders Network and appears via syndication.

C'mon MTBikers, time to show your skills!
Come and enjoy a day out with some mates and participate in the 2nd AROC Adventure Race of the season at Narrabeen Lake. Adventure Racing combines orienteering on foot, kayak and most importantly, MTB, for some good times and team work.
You will be out there between 2.5 and 5.5 hours according to how fast your team can navigate around the course. You will ride, run, paddle and maybe even swim in multiple short stages with estimated maximum distances being: Paddle 4km / Run 10km / Bike 20km.
Teams are made up of 3 people who complete the course together (sorry, no relay!). You can enter as a mixed, male or female team.

Powering my home made lights

OK so I have chosen the lights I want to use for my home made bike lights, MR16 12V leds, now just to power them. Remember I want something light weight, I wanted the light and battery mounted on my helmet, and now it obviously needs to be 12volt. Wanting to keep my money as local as possible I started searching the electronics suppliers around my area for what I was after. The handle bar light is only 1.4 watt, 12 volt, to get burn time of around 4 hrs plus some reserve I only needed about a 1 Ah battery. The helmet light was 3 watt and therefore required a little more juice, something between 2 and 2.5Ah should do the trick.

What to buy as 2nd MTBike?

Hi there!! I have been hitting the trails for a year now with a Trek 3700 (http://www.bayviewcycle.com/NewFiles/bike_specs/003/MTB/MTB_Trek_3700.html). I feel it is time to move forward and use it to commute only. My budget is $2500 max. including new helmet and shoes. I wonder if it is worthy the full suspension or the lighter models. Add shoeclips? Hidraulic brakes? Adjustable suspension? Remember, we add one thing but remove another to keep the budget! I don't race. I rather take the down hills slow no stopping than fast with a crash half way down. More important I want something to go up as weel as down.

Angkor Wat Bike Tour

Dear NobMob,

Join bike advocates for the first Angkor Wat Bike Tour and win a free trip to Cambodia!

Bikers from all over the world will gather to experience the stunning Angkor Wat ancient temple ruins while supporting Village Focus International (www.villagefocus.org), a non-governmental organization working in Southeast Asia. I hope your group's members will consider attending. The participant who raises the most sponsorships will win a round-trip ticket to the event.

The 80 km course will give participants a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see the temples as they once were, free of the traffic of the 750,000 tourists who now visit annually. Participants can expect to be joined only by the locals living in the forests around the temples, who will be cheering the bikers along.

GPS useability

Hi, Anyone that can give me some help please getting my Garmin Foretrex210 to talk to the PC to set up some rides on this site. Don't know if its the serial connection or the unit that's not working.
Cheers

Mtb Frame

Hey,

anyone got a old MTB Hardtail Frame, medium, with rack holes on the rear triangle ? Want to do some touring.

Tim

Highland Fling

Hello!
One of my friends said he is doing the Highland Fling in November...now, whilst I have no intention of riding 100ks I was wondering if anyone had been down or was going down - I believe they also have a 50k ride and thought I might go down and suss that out for trying it next year...however, I haven't heard of it before - any inside information would be great!
Thank you!

MEEE

Mountain Devils 6 Hr - June long weekend

Hi all,

Just got this email from Mountain Devils - I'll be away, otherwise would probably go for it - would be very much like a one day polaris challenge, loads of fun, remember it takes a lot of practice so if you are keen to start getting into MTB orienteering (e.g. Polaris) then this would be the event to do:

Uncle Sam needs you ...

Well, maybe not ... but Mountain Devils sure does.

Entries for the MDN 6Hr MTB Orienteering on the June Long Weekend are well below expectations. We need to get a lot more entries over the next week if we are to run the event.

As a reminder, the event is a pointscore event in native forest just south of Taree on the mid-north coast. The event area is huge, with the purpose made map covering 2 x A3 sheets on an scale of 1:25,000 - almost 4 times the area of our usual event maps. You will get a chance to ride on some great trails in State Forest and National Park (which are normally closed to events like this).

----------- and from the entry form -------------------

"A 6 Hr pointscore/cyclegaine event on mountain bikes in State Forest and National Park
on the NSW Mid-North Coast. This large area just south of Taree is mostly native forest with an extensive track network. The terrain is varied. Expect some challenging climbs and fast flowing downhills. Ideal training for Polaris, adventure racing and rogaining"

$30.00 per rider
Mountain Devils home page / OZ MTB-O homepage

Home made riding lights

For those who are planning on building themselves a set of riding lights here is a handy site to gain a bit of info.

http://www.australianoutdoors.com/how%20to%20vol...

I've ridden Cascades twice and Manly Dam once with my home made 50 watt light (see photo's in the equipment section), so if anyone is up for a night ride midweek let us know.

Thursdays and Fridays are no good for me

Pikey

First Suspension Bike

Hi,

To answer questions about - what should my first MTB be?

Some simple guidelines.
- You may find you don't enjoy MTB after a few months - so don't over-invest! After a couple of seasons, you will have the bug and be ready to hit the big-time Smiling
- To keep the cost down, your first bike should probably be a hardtail (front-suspension only)
- Don't even consider bikes from Kmart etc, go to a bike store.
- We've all bought bikes from Bike Addiction, Supreme Cycles, Learsport
- 24 or 27 gears

What sort of price range for the first MTB?
- Unfortunately for a bike that will last you for a few years off-road, you will have to spend around $500. Anything less will be more likely to wear quickly, not have the range of gears, and not have very good suspension.

nzo 24 hour this weekend

Anybody keen???

Big commitment!

Let me know!

Leather saddles?

It didn't take me long (for my next great idea)

Leather saddles - have a look at:

http://www.phantomcycles.com.au/manufacturers.ph...

I like the look of the swift. Not sure about the sprung saddles, I've got suspension already.

Check out Sheldon Brown's views:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/leather.html

Although the brooks saddle is not actually much heavier than an average plastic saddle.

Sheldon Brown actually has an alternative saddle he makes and supplies himself, for real men...
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html

Any thoughts? Would anyone rather

Handlebar wrap - experimental bike techniques

Warning, don't try this at home, only for the slightly MTB mad.

Ok, here's my experiment. I've got crappy OEM grips on my Reign, my hands are killing me. SO I spent $10 on some handlebar wrap (used for road bikes) as they were out of ODI lockons and the other grips were really bad.

I've just wrapped the grips with this and it's pretty interesting, I'm not going to be going on the Tour as the official handlebar wrapper anytime soon, but it does feel comfortable and there is no movement under the hand.

So... bets on how long this will last?

- next ride
- first ride in the rain
- un

For Sale Cannondale F600

For Sale

Cannondale F600 Medium Hardtail, 2004, Headshock, XT. Excellent COndition

$1,400 ono Call Dave 0411102743

How about a helmet cam?

This seems quiet interesting... anyone game to build one? Eye-wink

http://www.rainydaymagazine.com/RDM2006/RainyDay...

I'm thinking a movie made flying down Cascades track from the oval could be interesting Laughing out loud

!!! Sold !!! - 2004 Cannondale Gemini 2000

For sale - 2004 Cannondale Gemini 2000.

- sold -

How to build a 1,024,000 mcd portable light

For anyone thinking about night riding this might be of interest:

How to build a 1,024,000 mcd portable light.

You've just built a bike light which is brighter than most car headlights and weighs in under two pounds with batteries.

Sounds good Smiling

Not sure how viable it is though, esp. reading the comments below the main article, but might be worth a look anyhow.

Drink your oxygen... (I'd rather not)

There are a bunch of sports nutrition drinks out there with 'increased oxygen'...

Read this in case you are interested and definitely before you buy!

http://www.chem1.com/CQ/oxyscams.html

Nutrition for endurance events

With the Highland Fling just around the corner thought I would post some information about nutrition. I am guessing most people will be looking at completing this event in 5-7hrs so you probably burn around serious energy during the day and if you don't get it right you may run out of juice before the finish line.

Your body gets energy from two main energy systems:

Anaerobic
Aerobic

Now depending on the intensity of the exercise depends on the percentage of each system it is using to get the energy from. As intensity does up it swings in favour of anaerobic and as intensity decreases, it moves towards aerobic.

Interesting article about training with Coca-Cola

For those that are looking at competiting in some endurance events thought I would share some information about using Coca-Cola during races, especially when you start to bonk.

Originally from this web site: http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0204.htm

"Coca-cola: Many athletes use Coca-Cola as a sports drink, but does exercise really go better with Coke?

Top athletes seem to love Coke, not just as a dinner drink to wash down a cup of yoghurt, a cinnamon-raisin bagel, and a bowl of broccoli, but as a sports drink to provide a little fire during the last stages of a prolonged endurance competition.

New bike for Gavin

Gavin,
A mate of mind rides a Prophet and loves it. He bought it second hand from a mate who got it as an unwanted pressie from the better half. Didn't like it when he first rode it, actually went back to riding his Giant for a while. Got it serviced and set up properly for his weight and riding style and now says its the best bike he has ridden. Key here make sure it is set up properly when you take it for a test ride. I on the other hand ride a Kona, 03 Kahuna Deluxe, and can't speak highly enough of their quality and frame strength. I ride with all the style and finesse of an overweight thirty seven year old and it has consequently copped a thrashing, it's been flipped more times than I care to remember and aside from incidental breakages (derailer hanger and brake lever) is none the worse for wear. Definietly check out www.mtbr.com for reviews and try www.nsmb.com They may reviews of all the bikes you are looking at.

Highland Fling / Urban Polaris Logistics

Hi All,

I thought it might be an idea to keep the plans for these two big events in a forum. So we can ride together, look out for one another, stay together.
I know that I am not sure who is doing what with who and staying where etc....
So the plan is to keep a running score of whats doing in a table format or the likes.
Here is my info for the events. Feel free to add your details.
Craig

Highland Fling (looking for a third person for the 100k team event)
Team: Fork n Wheel
Team Members: Craig Leigh XXXXXX
Accomodation: Craig Camping?? Leigh Bundanoon Hotel

Best Mountain Bike